WHAT IS MYSORE STYLE ASHTANGA YOGA?
Self-Practice is what yoga is all about. For thousands of years Yoga, has been taught from teacher to student on a one-to-one basis taking a student through his or her own development at an appropriate pace. The father of Ashtanga yoga, the late Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois, taught classes in Mysore, India for many decades, hence the name ‘Mysore-style’.
In Mysore-style classes, each student practices the Ashtanga system at their own pace, with individual instruction and hands-on adjustments by the teacher. Poses are added gradually to ensure a safe yet challenging experience. Students new to Ashtanga are not expected to know the sequence. It is an all-levels class and beginners are welcome. Poses will be added gradually according to ability and commitment. This allows for a deeper connection to develop between teacher, student, and the practice. As a new student, one is introduced to postures one at a time. An on-going student finds an opportunity to refine the practice and gain the ability to move efficiently through the practice without being led verbally by a teacher.
Don’t Worry!! This is NOT a 2 hour class. Please ARRIVE AT ANY TIME during the time slot and LEAVE WHENEVER NECESSARY, or whenever your own practice is complete.
- The teacher may offer additions to or corrections of the postures and the vinyasa.
- The teacher may stop the student’s practice if the teacher feels the student cannot proceed safely to the next asana, at which point the student moves to closing postures.
- Modifications are allowed and offered at the discretion of the teacher.
- Make sure the teacher knows about specific injuries or special medical conditions.
- Bring a small hand towel and try to have everything you need at your mat.
- Don’t eat before class.
- Do not hydrate during the class, consuming water during class decreases the internal heat the practice is meant to generate.
Over the years we have developed a well working system of introducing students to traditional Ashtanga Yoga Mysore Style practice. We run 6 weeks Introduction to Ashtanga Yoga Courses for ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS where we slowly introduce students to the practice, background and philosophy of Ashtanga Yoga. It is a series of workshops, care and attention to detail, and precision in learning the correct vinyasa system of Ashtanga Yoga mean that the student will progress quickly and develop a clear and enjoyable personal Yoga practice, bringing health to both body and mind. Those courses are open to everyone – the only requirement is a willingness to learn.
After completing our 6 weeks course students are well prepared to attend all our self practice Mysore Style Ashtanga Yoga classes, led Ashtanga Yoga classes and they are ready to do 45 min long self yoga practice at home.
Find more information about all our courses here.